If there’s one list to keep handy–this is the one. It never fails that a major toothache hits when it’s late at night and your dentist’s office is closed. Although only a doctor can cure the source of the problem, this list of treatments & pain relief remedies should get you through the night until you can visit the dentist. If your tooth aches, there is a reason for it and it’s best to have it taken care of by a professional as soon as possible instead of just treating it at home and hoping the underlying issue will go away on its own. If it’s infected (gum area is swollen), don’t delay in getting professional medical care.
Directions for use: Apply directly to both the problem tooth and surrounding sore gums until unless otherwise directed. For items that direct you to chew or for liquids that are to be swooshed around inside mouth, do so with the sore tooth and focus on surrounding area. Do not swallow liquids, spit out when done.
- Salt Water: Mix a heaping spoonful of salt in a small glass of lukewarm to warm water, swoosh around inside your mouth for as long as you can, spit out. Repeat a couple times.
- Cloves: This is an old timer’s remedy, rest a clove against the sore area until pain goes away. You can also use a drop or two of clove oil (too much can be toxic) or make a thick paste of ground cloves and water or ground cloves and olive oil.
- Alcohol: Swoosh a bit of whiskey, scotch, brandy or vodka. A strong mouthwash that contains alcohol will do the trick too.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Swoosh a bit of hydrogen peroxide. If the taste is too horrid for you, try diluting with a bit of water.
- Vanilla Extract: Saturate a cotton ball with vanilla and hold in place. Can also use a cotton swab dipped in extract.
- Almond Extract: Same method of treatment as with Vanilla (above).
- Peppermint Extract: Same as with Vanilla (above).
- Lemon Extract: Same as with Vanilla (above).
- Tea Tree Oil: Just a drop or two will do the trick. You can also add some to a cotton swab and hold in place or add a few drops of tea tree oil to a small glass of lukewarm to warm water and swoosh this around.
- Oil Of Oregano: Mix a few drops with a bit of olive oil, then saturate a cotton ball with mixture. Can replace the olive oil with lukewarm water if preferred. Continue reading…